An Interview with our Student Michelle

(Photo: Mary & Michelle)




By Kyle B


1. What was your favourite thing you did at the program?

I enjoyed so many parts of doing my school placement here.  The best part has been the people here.  I absolutely love some of the one-on-one time I spent with everyone.  Sometimes that was chatting with a Brodie friend early in the morning while waiting for others to arrive.  Other times it was reading a book or drawing pictures with Michael.  Playing cards with Chris or Jason was always a blast.  Taking photos with Cassandra and playing basketball with Stephen...so many good memories.  I think I had to chance to spend a little quiet time with just about everyone here at one point or another.  You and I have had lots of great conversations at lunch time and when working on this blog.  Those moments really stick out for me.  

2. What made you want to work in the area like people with disabilities?

Well, I am going into social services, so anytime I get to work with people, I am happy.  As far as disabilities - being here at Brodie helped me learn a lot about a group of people I hadn't spent much time with in the past.  You and I talked about how people treat those with disabilities.  Though I always felt I was kind and empathetic, I didn't know always what to do or what to say.  I even worried about how much I was supposed to do for you when we first met!  Being at Brodie really made me less unsure about how to approach someone with a disability.  My goal is to work in mental health but I learned a lot here that will help me no matter who I work with one day!


3. What are your likes and hobbies?

I haven't had a lot of time for hobbies with school and my family.  I love to swim and go to the pool as often as I can.  I like hanging out with my family - playing games and watching movies.  Now that my kids are getting older, we can watch the same kinds of scary movies you like.  Ticket to Ride is my favourite board game.  I'm not really good at card games.  I spend time with my friends.  I love to cook.  I do like reading and writing but there isn't a lot of time for recreational reading and writing when I am in school.

Comments

Popular Posts